Robert J. Gilliland, Jr. is a partner of Guralnick & Gilliland, LLP in Palm Desert, California where he has extensive experience in construction defect litigation, real estate law, homeowner association law and general business litigation. He is an "AV-Preeminent Rated" attorney with the highest ethical standards and legal skills as monitored by the world's most trusted legal resource, Martindale-Hubbell. Gilliland is admitted to practice law in California and Colorado. He is a member of the American Inns of Court, the American Trial Lawyers Association, the Consumer Attorneys of California, the Riverside County Bar Association and the Desert Bar Association. Gilliland also serves as a Board Member for the March Field Air Museum in Riverside, California. He is a Board Member and Trustee of the Desert Bar Asociation. Gilliland was chosen as a 2011, 2012 and 2013 "Top Lawyer" in Palm Springs Life Magazine and a 2011, 2013 and 2014 "Top Lawyer" in Inland Empire Magazine. In 2012, he was awarded the prestigious City of Palm Desert Community Service Award. Gilliland frequently handles media intense cases with high profile clients. His cases have been featured on "Animal Planet's" TV show "Infested II" and on the front page of The Los Angeles Times, The Desert Sun, The San Francisco Chronical, the Sacramento Bee and the Daily Journal.
About Robert Gilliland, Jr.
Admitted: 1990, California
Professional Webpage: www.gghoalaw.com/files/html/profile.html
Honors and Awards:
- Gilliland was awarded the 2012 Community Service Award by the City of Palm Desert's Chamber of Commerce for his pro bono legal work in successfully defending multiple balloonists who were sued in the Coachella Valley. , Community Service Award, City of Palm Desert , 2012
- Mr. Gilliland was selected as a 2011, 2013 and 2014 TOP LAWYER by Inland Empire Magazine., TOP LAWYER , Inland Empire Magazine, 2011
- Mr. Gilliland is an AV-Rated Attorney with the highest legal and ethical rating from Martindale-Hubbell. He has been peer reviewed by lawyers and judges throughout Southern California to receive this prestigious rating., AV -Rated Highest Possible Legal and Ethical Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2011
- Mr. Gilliland was elected by the members of the Desert Bar Association to serve as a Trustee and Board Member for the Organization. The Desert Bar Association is a professional association of civil and criminal law attorneys practicing within the Desert Judicial District of the Coachella Valley, comprising the cities of Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Catherdral City, Palm Desert, Desert Hot Springs, Thousand Palms, Indian Wells, La Quinta, Indio, Coachella, Thermal and Mecca., Trustee , Desert Bar Association, 2010
- Palm Springs Life Magazine, Mr. Gilliland was selected as a 2011, 2012 and 2013 TOP LAWYER by Palm Springs Life Magazine.
- Member of the Colorado State Bar, 2000
- Member of the California State Bar, 1990
- Mr. Gilliland is a member of the Riverside County Bar Association, the American Trial Lawyers Association, the Consumer Attorneys of California, the Desert Bar Association and the Inns of Court. He is also a member of the both the California and Colorado Bar Associations.
Pro bono/Community Service:
- Mr. Gilliland and his law firm successfully defended two hot air balloon companies "pro bono" who were sued by Plaintiff JCM Farming, Inc. in Thermal, California. The case was dismissed against the balloonists and the balloonists in turn pursed their recovery of costs and attorneys fees against the Plaintiff. This high profile case received substantial local, national and international media coverage due to its impact on the aviation and ballooning industry. The case was entitled JCM Farming, Inc. v. Balloon Above the Desert and filed at the Riverside County Superior Court, Indio Branch., 2011
- Board Member for March Air Field Museum Riverside, California, 2009
Verdicts and Settlements:
- Gilliland's client received a binding arbitration award of $900,000.00 related to a partnership dispute between 2 doctors., 2013
- Mr. Gilliland obtained a $2,773,805.00 jury verdict against a large civil engineering firm, Stantec Consulting Corporation and a settlement of $599,000 from the project developer the day before the trial commenced. Following the one week jury trial, the jurors voted 12-0 in favor of Gilliland's client, the Paseo Vista Homeowners Association. Gilliland's client was awarded 100% of its damages. Defendant Stantec's final settlement offer prior to trial was only $15,000.00! , 2013
- Mr. Gilliland obtained a $2,000,000.00 settlement against the builder of a custom single family home., 2012
- Mr. Gilliland obtained a $4,000,000.00 judgment along with a settlement of $700,000.00 against a developer of an HOA. , 2012
- Mr. Gilliland obtained a $245,000.00 settlement against a pool contractor on behalf of a homeowner., 2011
- Mr. Gilliland obtained a $700,000.00 settlement on behalf of his HOA client against a Developer regarding construction defects., 2010
- Mr. Gilliland obtained a $252,850.00 settlement plus extensive repairs to the subject home against the Defendants. (confidential settlement)., 2010
- Mr. Gilliland obtained an $800,000.00 settlement on behalf of his client against a developer of a project (confidential settlement). , 2009
- In 2008, Mr. Gilliland obtained a $1.2 million dollar binding arbitration verdict in the matter of Schwartz v. Stradella Investments, Inc. JAMS Case #1220036415 and Riverside County Superior Court case # INC076493. In 2009, Mr. Gilliland also obtained a confidential $17.2 Million Dollar settlement on behalf of his clients., 2008
- Several high profile clients., 2010
- Claremont McKenna College - BA Economics/Political Science
- Northwestern School of Law at Lewis and Clark College