Ms. Smith's practice emphasizes the litigation that pertains to business as well as related bankruptcy law revolving around real estate and entertainment, interestingly enough - an unlikely combination that fits Ms. Smith's style. The clients Ms. Smith has represented include local business, corporations, both creditors and lenders, developers, and entertainment investors. She is certified in Entertainment Bankruptcy by the Northern Edge of New York Certification Panel of Lawyers. Ms. Smith chaired the Eastern Pennsylvania Bar Mediation Section. Ms. Smith has been AV-rated.
Ms. Smith graduated from William Mitchell School of Law. She is also a partner in her firm.
About Jane Smith
Admitted: 1978, New York
Professional Webpage: www.superlawyers.com
Honors and Awards:
- Recipient Medal of Merit Award, Minnesota Bar Association
- Medal of Excellence Award, University of Minnesota
- Certified Public Accountant, Minnesota, 1987
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Certified Trial Attorney
- Member and President (1992) Hennepin County Bar association.
- Member Minnesota Bar Association and chair of Criminal Defense committee (1990).
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America (Sustaining Member).
Pro bono/Community Service:
- Hennepin County Chapter of United Way, President 1993-1994.
- Board of Directors, Minnesota Orchestra 1993 to present.
- Board of Directors of Minnesota Heart Association 1987-1990.
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Author: "Minority Shareholder Litigation in Minnesota: Recent Developments," Minnesota Institute of Legal Education, 2001
- "Recent Developments in Minority Shareholder Litigation, Wessins, et al. v. Archives Corp.," Minnesota Institute of Legal Education, 1999
- "Minority Shareholder Litigation in Minnesota: Recent Developments" and "Insider Trading After O'Hagan," Minnesota Institute of Legal Education, 1998
- "Securities and the Internet - A Comprehensive Directory," First Annual Conference on Law Practice Technology, 1996
- "Securities Issues in the Gaming Industry - Something More than a Gamble," Minnesota Institute of Legal Education, 1996
- "NASD Arbitration Reform - One Step Closer to the Courthouse," Minnesota Institute of Legal Education, 1996
- "Changing Times, Professionalism and Fiduciary Responsibilities in the Financial Services Industry," The Hennepin Lawyer
- Frequent lecturer for the Hennepin County Bar Association
- Frequent guest lecturer for the William Mitchell College of Law on Appellate practice matters.
Verdicts and Settlements:
- Horseshoe Entertainment v. Lepinski, --- So.2d ----, 2006 WL 545590, (La. App. 2 Cir. 2006)
- Barron Bancshares, Inc. v. U.S. 366 F.3d 1360, 2004 WL 1048197, (Fed. Cir. May 11, 2004)
- Onvoy, Inc. vs. SHAL, LLC et al., 699 N.W.2d 344, Minn., Sep. 25, 2003
- James Casazza v. Joseph C. Kiser, 313 F.3d 414, 49 UCC Rep. Serv. 2d 342, 8th Cir. (Minn.), Dec. 10, 2002
- United Health Care Insurance Co. v. Advance PCS, 316 F.3d 737 (8th Cir. 2002)
- Barron Bancshares, Inc., et al v. United States of America, 53Fed. Cl. 310 Fed. Cl., 2002, Aug. 23, 2002
- Onvoy, Inc. v. SHAL, LLC, 2002 WL 31371961 (Minn. App. 2002)
- United States, ex. Rel. Bernard v. Casino Magic Corp., -, 293 F.3d 419 (8th Cir. 2002)
- United Healthcare Insurance Co. v. Advance PCS, 2002 WL 519720 (D. Minn. March 22, 2002)
- United Healthcare Insurance Co. V. Advance PCS, 2002 WL 432068 (D. Minn. March 18, 2002)
- Negotiated $110 million dollar 3-year contract for Michael Jordan with the Chicago Bulls.
- General Electric
- Proctor & Gamble
- Michael Jordan
Other Outstanding Achievements:
- Mayor of Waconia, Minnesota 1987-1989.