S. Christie Smith IV is the senior partner of SmithBush, LLP, a regional Louisiana law firm originally established in 1911 to represent laborers--and too often their widows and children--who were harmed by the burgeoning and unregulated timber industry in the rural South.
Mr. Smith's work today is the modern extension of that century-old practice, in a broader, litigation-based platform. As a consumer advocate and lawyer-in-the-trenches, he has spent his career representing regular people in the fight for safer working conditions, reliable products, civil rights, and fair access to the courts. His practice focuses on litigating wrongful death and catastrophic injury cases resulting from defective products and drugs, automobile collisions, motorcycle accidents, industrial incidents, medical errors, and Federal Tort Claims Act liability. On occasion, he defends individuals in the most serious types of criminal charges or in cases where their Constitutional rights have been intentionally or systemically abridged. He has tried cases across the Gulf South, from personal injury and damage claims to first degree murder and narcotics traficking.
He is one of the few lawyers dually board-certified in both civil and criminal trial advocacy by the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification; has been recognized in the "Top 50 Louisiana SuperLawyers" List published by Thomson-Reuters SuperLawyers Magazine; holds an "AV--Preeminent" rating, the highest rating available from the Martindale-Hubbell Directory of Attorneys; and is named to Wooodward-White's Best Lawyers in America. He is widely-published and frequently lectures in the legal community or testifies before the legislature on emerging issues in trial and Constitutional law.
About Christie Smith, IV
Admitted: 1997, Louisiana
Professional Webpage: www.martindale.com/Mr-S-Christie-Smith-IV/596066-lawyer.htm
Honors and Awards:
- Inducted, Million Dollar Advocates' Forum
- Awarded "AV--Preeminent" Legal Ability Rating, Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory
- Named to "100 Top Trial Lawyers" (Louisiana), The National Trial Lawyers
- Named to "Top 50" Louisiana Super Lawyers, SuperLawyers®, Thomson-Reuters
- Selected for inclusion, The Best Lawyers in America©, Woodward-White Publishing
- Board Certified Criminal Trial Specialist, National Board of Legal Specialty Certification
- Board Certified Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Legal Specialty Certification
- Death Penalty Lead Counsel Certified, Louisiana Supreme Court/Louisiana Indigent Defense Assistance Board
- Amicus Curiae Committee, Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Governor (past), Board of Governors, Louisiana Association for Justice
- Delegate (past), House of Delegates, Louisiana State Bar Association
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- Admitted, United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Admitted, United States Court of Federal Claims
- Admitted, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- Admitted, Supreme Court of the United States
- Admitted, United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Admitted, United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Admitted, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
- Admitted, Coushatta Tribal Court
- Licensed to practice, Washington, D.C.
- Licensed to practice, Louisiana
- Chairman (past), Criminal Law Section, Louisiana Association for Justice;
- Governor (past), Board of Governors, Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association;
- President (past), Thirtieth Judicial District Bar Association
Pro bono/Community Service:
- Board of Directors, CenLa Pro Bono Project
- Director (past), Acadiana Legal Services Corporation (Pro-Bono Project)
- Director (past), Vernon Parish Arts Council
- Fellow, Louisiana Bar Foundation
- Counsel (pro bono) Vernon Parish Tourism Commission
- Counsel (pro bono) Leesville Historic District
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Author, Lecturer, "Discovery Practice Against Government Entities--the 'Touhy Situation'", Louisiana Association for Justice, 2013
- Lecturer, Author, "Hedonic Damages: Giving Meaning to 'Life, Liberty, and the Pusuit of Happiness'", Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, 2013
- "The Word 'Automobile' Is Not a Talisman in Whose Presence the Fourth Amendment Fades Away and Disappears", Speaker, Author, Office Of The Staff Judge Advocate, 2009
- "The Collateral Source Rule in Retreat", Speaker, Author, Louisiana Association For Justice, 2008
- "Constitutional Considerations in Trial Practice", Speaker, Author, Central Louisiana Pro Bono Project, 2007
- "Straining Patriotism Under the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act (USA PATRIOT ACT)", Speaker, Author, Fort Polk Judge Advocate General's Continuing Legal Education, 2005
- "'Colossus' and other Fallen Wonders", Speaker, Author, Office Of The Staff Judge Advocate, 2004
- "Recent Developments in Personal Injury Law", Louisiana Association For Justice, 2002
- "Understanding the 'Minor Impact Soft Tissue' Injury Defense", Speaker, Author, Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, 2001
- "Nuts and Bolts of Appellate Argument", Speaker, Author, Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, 1999
Verdicts and Settlements:
- The Louisiana Rules of Professional Conduct prohibit--or at least strongly discourage--reference to specific dollar-amount recoveries; however, they do not preclude listing membership in organizations such as the Million (and Multi-million) Dollar Advocates' Forums.
- Worldnet of Louisiana, LLC
- The Vernon Bank
- Vernon Parish Police Jury
- Vernon Parish Tourism Commission
- Vernon Hospitality, Inc.
- SMI Global Mission Support Services, Inc.
- Shawson Gas Company
- Scogin Auto Parts, Inc.
- Ross Investments, Inc.
- Pynes Chrysler, Inc.
- Merchants and Farmers Bank and Trust Company
- Leesville Oil Company
- Leesville Housing Authority
- Leesville Community Corporation
- PENE Broadcasting Co.
- Pat Williams Construction, Inc.
- Doctors' Hospital at Deer Creek
- Delta Leasing Company
- Bayou Gaming, Inc.
- Anacoco-Prairie State Game and Fish Commission
- American Moving and Storage, Inc.
- American Federal Contractors, Inc.
- By far, the largest portion of SmithBush's clients are regular people in trouble; however, when not inconsistent with our primary mission, we will occasionally take institutional clients for a specific matter, usually one that presents a novel legal issue, a Constitutional question, or one that has the potential for setting precedent across a wide spectrum of disputes.
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge), B.A., English Literature/Philosophy, 1992