Attorney Kazarosian practices in MA and NH in the state and federal courts, litigating personal injury, civil rights, SEC Whistleblower and Retaliation, and domestic cases. She is President-elect of Massachusetts Bar Association and past President of both Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys and Essex County Bar Association. In 2013, she was appointed to the SJC Access to Justice Bar Exam Committee, and became a Trustee of the MA Bar Foundation. In 2013 she was selected for Boston Magazine's Top Women Lawyers in Massachusetts, and in 2012 she was listed as one of Boston's Best Lawyers. In 2013 she began another term as a member of the Board of Editors of the Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly publication. In 2011 she became a Trustee of Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) and in the same year was honored as a Top Woman in the Law by Lawyers Weekly.
1999 she was also named by Lawyers Weekly as one of the Top 10 Lawyers in MA. She tried and won the nation's first gender discrimination trial against a country club, has represented high-profile clients such as a Hell's Angels member and one of the boys charged with murder in the Pamela Smart murder case. She has an AVVO 10.0 Superb Rating in Personal Injury and Family Law, and has been included on the Thomson-Reuters Super Lawyers List each year since 2006, when she was selected as the subject of the magazine's cover story. She is a graduate of Phillips Andover Academy, University of Massachusetts, and Suffolk Law School.
On January 1, 2014, Attorney Kazarosian formed the firm KAZAROSIAN COSTELLO & O'DONNELL LLP, with Walter A. Costello, Jr., of Salem, MA, and Kathleen M. O'Donnell of Lowell MA. Both attorneys Costello and O'Donnell are Super Lawyers as selected, and are past presidents of the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys. KAZAROSIAN COSTELLO & O'DONNELL LLP has three locations; Haverhill, Salem, and Lowell, Massachsuetts.
About Marsha Kazarosian
Admitted: 1982, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: www.kcolaw.com/marsha.html
Honors and Awards:
- Top Women Lawyers in Massachusetts, Boston Magazine, 2013
- Boston's Best Lawyers, LexisNexis® Martindale-Hubbell®, 2012
- Top Women In The Law, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, 2011
- Top Ten Verdicts in MA, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, 1999
- Top Ten Lawyers in Massachusetts, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, 1999
- AV® Preeminent™ , Martindale-Hubbell®
- Admitted to practice in NH State and Federal Courts, 1990
- Admitted to practice to US District Court for the District of MA, 1986
- Admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, 1986
- Admitted to practice to Massachusetts Bar, 1982
- SJC Bar Exam Committee Appointee, 2012
- Treasurer, Massachusetts Bar Association, 2012
- Massachusetts Bar Foundation (MBF) Trustee, 2012
- Vice President of Massachusetts Bar Association, 2011
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) Trustee, 2011
- Secretary, Massachusetts Bar Association, 2010
- Vice President Massachusetts Bar Association, 2008
- President, Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys, 2006
- President, Essex County Bar Association, 2002
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Critiqued and taught Family Law Trial Advocacy Skills to lawyers as part of a week-long practical skills course for practicing attorneys, Faculty, Family Law Trial Advocacy Workshop, MCLE, 2012
- Participated as faculty member of panel providing practical skills and advice for less experienced lawyers as well as law students on the precipice of graduation and starting out in practice., Faculty Member, MCLE's 3rd Annual Pathways to Practice, MCLE, 2012
- Taught Trial Advocacy Skills and performed presentations of opening, closing, direct, cross, etc., for lawyers in one day trial skills course through MCLE, Faculty, Civil Trial Advocacy Basics Plus, MCLE, 2011
- Taught segment in day long course offered by MCLE on Trying Your First Case in the District Court, Faculty Member, Practical Skills Seminar, MCLE, 2010
- Author, Cause of Action Against Private Club or Association for Sex Based Discrimination, West Publishing Co. 2002, 2002
Verdicts and Settlements:
- Summary Judgment dismissal in favor of client/defendant charged with disability discrimination in Plymouth County. Successfully defended appeal to the SJC. SJC affirmed.
- Not guilty jury verdict for man charged with operating under the influence of alcohol, Newburyport MA
- Not guilty jury verdict for woman charged with operating under the influence of alcohol and pills, Newburyport, MA
- $70,000 settlement for Plaintiff alleging excessive force against an individual police officer in Essex County.
- $306,000 settlement of slip and fall case. Plaintiff fell while purchasing items from Defendant's place of business. When in the walk-in cooler, he slipped on what appeared to be ice and water on the floor from a leak in the cooling system. Matter settled prior to filing suit.
- $325,000 settlement for a Plaintiff city employee who alleged sexual harassment by her employer, the city solicitor.
- 3.8 million dollar verdict (including interest and attorneys fees award) of gender discrimination and breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing claims filed by nine plaintiffs against a golf and country club in Essex County. Defendant appealed, lower court affirmed. Defendant sought Further Appellate Review to SJC. FAR denied.
- $262,000 settlement of gender discrimination and retaliation claims brought by female plaintiff member of a golf and country club in Norfolk County. Plaintiff alleged that male applicants were offered membership in priority over her application. Further, she alleged that once she complained to the President about what she perceived to be gender discrimination, she was retaliated against and banned from the club.
Other Outstanding Achievements:
- AVVO rated 10.0 "Superb" , 2012
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- Suffolk University Law School, JD, 1982
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst BA English, 1978
- Phillips Academy, Andover, MA, 1974