Bill Powers is the managing partner of the law firm of Powers McCartan PLLC in Charlotte, North Carolina. He handles DUI/DWI defense, general misdemeanors and serious felonies, personal injury and wrongful death claims. SuperLawyers listed Bill in the "TOP 100 LAWYERS IN NORTH CAROLINA" IN 2012.
Bill was named as LAWYER OF THE YEAR in 2011 for DUI/DWI defense in Charlotte by US News & World Report. Powers McCartan, pllc was selected for inclusion in the U.S. News Best Lawyers Best Law Firms in 2010, 2011 & 2012. Bill has also been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America 2010, 2011 & 2012.
Mr. Bill Powers was listed in Super Lawyers North Carolina magazine from 2007 - 2012, and was rated by Martindale-Hubbell as a AV "Preeminent Lawyer" 2010, 2011 & 2012*
Bill is a board Certified Criminal Law Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy / National Board of Legal Specialty Certification and is a general member of the National College of DUI Defense, Inc. He is the former chair of the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers annual DWI conference and former co-chair of the Criminal Law CLE Division of the Academy. Attorney Powers has also been listed in Business North Carolina magazine, Legal Elite (2012).
Bill was admitted to practice in North Carolina in1992, and is admitted in Wisconsin, U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina and U.S. District Court, District of Michigan.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Bill Powers
Law School: Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law
Admitted: 1992, North Carolina
Professional Webpage: www.powmac.com/attorneys/billpowers.asp
Honors and Awards:
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" Rating, Bar Register of Pre-Eminent Lawyers (www.Martindale.com), Martindale-Hubbell "AV" Rating, Martindale-Hubbell , 2010
While we have the “Ebbie Awards” which recognize members who go above and beyond in their commitment, dedication and service to the NCAJ, the Order of Service is a broader recognition of members who have given generously of their time and talent to the NCAJ by serving a minimum of two areas. These areas include amicus brief writing, writing manuscripts and speaking at CLE seminars, coaching a mock trial team or otherwise significantly serving our mock trial program, actively serving on committees, writing articles for Trial Briefs, chairing educational programs, writing for various publication projects of the NCAJ, chairing sections or divisions, among other things. The goal of this recognition is to let those of you who give so much of your time, know how much we appreciate you and to encourage others to join your ranks!, Order of Service, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, 2010
- AVVO Client / Attorney Rating (www.AVVO.com) "10/10 Superb", 2009
- www.NCAJ.com, Ebbie Award, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, 2008
- see: www.NCAJ.com, Order of Service, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, 2006
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon
- American Jurisprudence Book Award
- Delta Theta Phi Recipient
- Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Program Chair, Criminal Masters of Advocacy, North Carolina Advocates for Justice. Summer Convention, Wilmington, NC, 2011
- Board of Governors, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, 2011
- Board of Governors, NCAJ., 2010
- Wisconsin, 2001
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina, 1994
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1992
- North Carolina, 1992
- Chair, Authorized Practice of Law, Committee 26th Judicial District, Mecklenburg County Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2000 - Present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- CONVENTION HIGHLIGHTS:•Keynote Speaker - consumer advocate and environmental activist Erin Brockovich•Saturday’s Luncheon Speaker – North Carolina’s own Roger Smith on Professionalism•Civil Masters in Advocacy Seminar – Hone your skills at Effective Motions Practice (morning) and An Introduction to Reptilian Trial Advocacy from the Founders with David Ball and Don Keenan (afternoon)•Criminal Masters in Advocacy Seminar - Hit & Runs: Fast-paced Multi-subject Hot Button Topics for the Everyday Practitioner•, Program Chair, Criminal Masters of Advocacy, North Carolina Advocates For Justice, 2011
- Successful District Court Practice in Eastern North Carolina - Continuing Legal Education Speaker, Cross Examination of Expert Witness - North Carolina Advocates for Justice New Bern, North Carolina April 29, 2011, Speaker, Cross Examination of Expert Witness, North Carolina Advocates For Justice, 2011
- Presentation of Beginning, Intermediate & Advanced DWI Trial Techniques. Sponsor, Rowan County Bar. August. 2010, Program Speaker, DWI Update, Rowan County, 2010
- Program Chair for NCAJ 2010 Summer Convention, Criminal Masters of Advocacy Program. , Program Chair, Masters in Criminal Advocacy, North Carolina Advocates Of Justice, 2010
- DWI Law "Field Dexterity Testing," Lorman CLE, 2002 - Present
- "The Intoxilyzer 5000 and Alcosensor - Know the Technology - Help Your Client"
- DWI Law "Alcosensor-How on Earth Does It Work," Lorman CLE, 2002 - Present
- DWI Law "The Interlock Device," Mecklenburg Co. Bar, 2001 – Present
- "Adventures in Fantasyland – A Traffic Law Primer"
- "The Interlock Device – Buck Rogers meets Learned Hand"
- North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, B.A. in Political Science, Cum Laude, 1988