James A. Davis is a Board Certified Specialist in Federal and State Criminal Law with a trial practice in criminal, domestic, and general litigation. Issue Planning Editor of the Law Review at Regent University, Mr. Davis has served on the North Carolina State Bar Specialization Criminal Law Committee, currently serves on the North Carolina State Bar Board of Continuing Legal Education, lectures at criminal and family law CLEs, and is regularly designated by the Capital Defender as lead counsel in capital murders. Married to his law partner, Andrea B. Davis, he has been involved in a number of civic and community leadership positions.
About James Davis
Admitted: 1991, North Carolina
Honors and Awards:
- Selected "Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyer" in North Carolina by The American Society of Legal Advocates (2014); Am Jur Awards (top student) in Legal Research and Writing I, Torts I, and Family Law; Recipient of Beasley Scholarship in law school at Regent University; Recipient of the Faculty Recognition Award for Most Improved Student; Recognized for Academic Work of Distinction in the Family/Estate Field; Selected Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges; Salisbury YMCA Distinguished Service Award (2002); Salisbury YMCA Oustanding Leadership Award (1996); Selected Oustanding Young Man of America (1987); and Jaycees Distinguished Service Award (1982).
- Board Certified Specialist in State Criminal Law (2001 to present); and Board Certified Specialist in Federal and State Criminal Law (2002 to present).
- Faculty Presenter on "Challenging the State's Expert Under New Rule 702(a) (2014), "Practice Tips for the Family Law Attorney" (2013), "DWI Defense: Making Sense of the Maze: A Checklist" (2012), "Practical Evidence and Trial Practice Pointers" (2011, 2009 and 2008), "Motions to Suppress: Statements, Property, and Identification" (2010), "Third Party Intervention in Custody Actions" (2010), and "Judicial Independence" (2009), at CLE Seminars/Symposiums; Faculty at Public Defender Attorney and Investigator Conference (2014), Regional Training for Criminal Defenders I: Trial Preparation (2010), and Regional Training for Criminal Defenders II: Trial Skills (2010); NC State Bar Board of Continuing Legal Education/Accreditation Committee Chair (2010-2016), and Board of Legal Specialization/Criminal Law Speciality Committee (2003-2007); Oral argument at the NC Court of Appeals; Past President of District 19C Bar; and Young Lawyers Division Citizenship Education Committee.
Pro bono/Community Service:
- Past Board of Directors for Rowan Helping Ministries; Past Board of Directors for Salisbury YMCA; Past Deacon and Secretary of Board of Deacons at First Baptist Church of Salisbury, NC; Past Sunday School Teacher at First Baptist Church of Salisbury, NC; Past Assistant Wrestling Coach at North Rowan High School; Past Gra-Y Youth Sport Coach; and Rowan Little League Coach.
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Challenging the State's Expert Under New Rule 702(a) (2014); Practice Tips for the Family Law Attorney (2013); DWI Defense: Making Sense of the Maze: A Checklist (2012); Practical Evidence and Trial Practice Pointers (2011, 2009, and 2008); Motions to Suppress: Statements, Property, and Identification (2010); and Third Party Intervention in Custody Actions (2010).