"Hank" Menninger is a Partner with the Cincinnati law firm of Wood & Lamping, LLP. Known for his expertise in the areas of bankruptcy and real estate, he is Board Certified in the area of Consumer Bankruptcy by the ABC and has been regularly involved in the quality of the legal profession in the Cincinnati area. He is an Adjunct Professor of Law at Northern Kentucky University and has been a member of the faculty of the annual Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar. He lectures frequently on topics related to bankruptcy and real estate practice. He is a member of the Panel of Bankruptcy Trustees for the Southern District of Ohio, and his practice includes both debtor and creditor representation, as well as Creditor Committee representation in Chapter 11 cases.
About Henry Menninger, Jr.
Admitted: 1977, Ohio
Professional Webpage: www.woodlamping.com/43/43-henry-e-menninger.html
Honors and Awards:
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2009
- Chase Alumni Association Professional Achievement Award presented annually by the Chase Law School Alumni Association to a graduate of the Law School, Professional Achievement Award, Chase College of Law of Northern Kentucky University, 2007
- Annual Service Award presented annually by the Chase Law School Alumni Association to graduates of the law school who have demonstrated their committment to service to the law school through the Alumni Association, adjunct teaching, fundraising and other endeavors., Annual Service Award, Chase College of Law of Northern Kentucky University, 1989
- Certified by the American Board of Certification in the Area of Consumer Bankruptcy, 2001
- Admitted to practice in the States of Ohio and Kentucky; Licensed to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, the United States District Courts for the Southern District of Ohio, the Eastern District of Kentucky, the Western District of Kentucky and the Southern District of Indiana; and the United States Tax Court.
- Cincinnati Bar Association (Past Chairman, Practical Law Institute; Past Chairman, Real Property Committee); Ohio State Bar Association; Kentucky Bar Association; American Bar Association (Business Section); National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees; National Bankruptcy Institute; Commercial Law League of America; American Bankruptcy Law Forum
Pro bono/Community Service:
- Board of Advisors, Cincinnati Reds Community Fund; 2007 - Present (Executive Committee, 2011); Board of Trustees for Miracle League of Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky, Inc.; Served 9 year term as member of Board of Trustees for Cincinnati Bar Association Foundation; Past-President (1988-89) and Current Ex-Officio Member, Board of Governors for Chase Law School Alumni Association; Pro-Bono Attorney for Cincinnati Volunteer Lawyers for the Poor; 1987-1993: Volunteer Juvenile Referee for the City of Harrison, Ohio; 1978-1981: Member of Planning Commission, City of Harrison, Ohio; 1999-2007: Member of Board of Zoning Appeals, City of Harrison, Ohio.
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Other Publications and Lectures: "Ethical Considerations in Asset Protection Devices", Panel Presentation - Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar, 2010; "State Law Creditors' Rights Issues" - Panel Presentation - William J. O'Neil Bankruptcy Instutute, Cleveland, Ohio, 2009; "Chapter 7 & 13 - Pre-Petition Real Estate Issues: Work-out or Bail-out", Panel Presentation - Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar, 2008; BAPCPA and Its Effect on Domestic Relations Practice" - Cincinnati Bar Association Domestic Relations Seminar (2006); Chapter 7 Panel - "Practice and Procedure in Chapter 7 under BAPCPA" (2006); "Selected Ethics Issues For Lawyers in Real Estate Transactions" - Cincinnati Bar Association Real Property Institute (2005); "First Day Orders" - Part of panel presentation for the American Bankruptcy Law Forum, Dayton, Ohio (2005); Chapter 7 Panel - "Practice and Procedure in Chapter 7" (Prepared "Attorney Bankruptcy Pre-Filing Checklist"), Annual US Trustee Chapter 7 & Chapter 13 Seminar (2005); "Selected Real Estate Issues in Bankruptcy" - Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar (2004); "Prepetition Conduct As A Basis For Non-Dischargeability" - Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar (2004); "Bankruptcy Issues and Residential Real Estate Transactions" - Cincinnati Bar Association Brown Bag Lecture Series (2004); Chapter 7 Panel - "Practice and Procedure in Chapter 7" (Prepared "Attorney Bankruptcy Pre-Filing Checklist"), Annual US Trustee Chapter 7 & Chapter 13 Seminar (2004); "Preference Litigation in Bankruptcy", CBA Annual Bankruptcy Seminar (2003); "Maximizing Assets In Chapter 7 Administration" - USDOJ Region 9 Trustee Seminar (2003); Bankruptcy in Ohio, A Creditor's Perspective, Faculty/Materials, Lorman Education Services, "Nuts and Bolts of Chapter 7"; "Creditors' Committee Representation" (2002).Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar, Faculty/Materials - 2001, topics included -707(b) Dismissals; Claims Trading; and Exemptions; US Trustee Chapter 7 & Chapter 13 Seminar, S.D. Ohio, Faculty, Chapter 7 Panel Discussion (2001 and 2002); Cincinnati Bar Association Bankruptcy Conference, Faculty 1999 and 2001, "Nuts and Bolts of Chapter 7"; Basic Consumer Bankruptcy, Faculty, Panel Discussion on Selected Bankruptcy Issues (Columbus, 1997); Best of Real Estate Topics, Ohio CLE Institute, Materials, "Foreclosure" and co-author, "Fraudulent Conveyances and Effects of Selected Title Problems Relating to Bankruptcy Matters" (1997); Basic Titles to Real Estate Seminar, Faculty, Ohio CLE Institute - "Foreclosure" and "Civil Actions Affecting Title to Real Estate" (Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinnati -1996); Elder High School, "Wills Awareness Seminar", Faculty (1988); Handling Residential Real Estate Transactions, Faculty, Ohio OSBA/CLE - "Relief for Purchasers, Post-Closing Claims (2000); Residential Real Estate Transactions, Faculty, Ohio CLE Institute - "Special Proceedings - Probate" (1985); Fundamentals of Bankruptcy Law & Procedure in Ohio, Faculty, National Business Institute, Inc. - "Introduction to the Bankruptcy Code and the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure"; "Who's Who in Bankruptcy Case Management" (1994); Domestic Relations Seminar, Cincinnati Bar Association, Faculty - "Real Estate Issues in Domestic Relations Actions" (1983);Real Estate Law Update - "Update '85", Ohio CLE Institute (1985); Real Estate Law Update - "Update '86", Ohio CLE Institute (1986); Real Estate Law Update - "Update '87", Ohio CLE Institute (1987); Real Estate Law Update - "Update '88", Ohio CLE Institute (1988); Real Estate Law Update - "Update '89", Ohio CLE Institute (1989); Real Estate Law Update - "Update '90", Ohio CLE Institute (1990); Real Estate Law Update - "Update '91", Ohio CLE Institute (1991); Practical Law Institute, Cincinnati Bar Association, Faculty/Materials - "Residential Real Estate Transactions and TheTitle Examination Process" (1980, 1981 and 1982).
- 2006 - Co-Authored "The Bankruptcy Abuse and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 (BAPCPA) and Attorney Sanctions" with Thomas J. Blatz, Jr., Northern Kentucky University Law Review, Kentucky Survey Issue.
Verdicts and Settlements:
- Co-counsel in successful prosecution of appeal wherein the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit determined that patent infringement claim occurring post-petition, but pre-confirmation in a Chapter 11 case was a claim arising in the ordinary course of business of the debtor and consequently not discharged under 11 U.S.C. Section 1141, in the published case of Caradon Doors & Windows, Inc. v. Eagle-Picher Industries, Inc. (In re: Eagle Picher Industries, Inc.) 447 F.3d 461 (6th Cir. 2006).
- Successful determinations that claims held by claims trader could not be collapsed to limit holder of multiple claims to one vote on confirmation of Chapter 11 Plan in the following cases: In re: Elder-Beerman Department Stores, Inc.; In re: Brendamour Sporting Goods, Inc.; In re: Eagle-Picher Industries, Inc.; and In re: Dow Corning, Inc..
- Counsel for R.L. Torbeck Industries, Inc. (Debtor), Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization confirmed; Counsel for Blevins Trucking, Inc. (Debtor), Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization confirmed; Counsel for Lischkge Motors, Inc. (Debtor), Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization confirmed; Counsel for Trotta Pizza, Inc. (Debtor), Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization confirmed.
- Successful prosecution of objection to exemption of large IRA account, where assets therein had been previously pledged to secure pre-petition debt in the case of In re: Roberts, 326 B.R. 424 (Bankr. S.D. Ohio, 2004).
- Successful prosecution of avoidance actions relating to defective mortgages in bankruptcy cases, the same being published as follows: In re: Nolan, 383 B.R. 391 (BAP, 6th Cir., 2008); In re: Morgeson, 371 B.R. 798 (BAP, 6th Cir., 2007); In re: Nolan, 365 B.R. 804 (Bankr. S.D. Ohio, 2007): and In re: Bowling, 314 B.R. 127 (Bankr. S.D. Ohio, 2004).
- Trustee in Bankruptcy, Leugers Furniture Company, Inc. (Chapter 7) 100% distribution to creditors in what initially appeared to be a "no asset" case following assertion of leveraged buyout and other claims resulting in recovery of over one million dollars in assets;
- Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway Company; R.L. Torbeck Industries, Inc.; Lischkge Motors, Inc.; Thomas J. Geygan, Trustee in Bankruptcy; Elliott Polaniecki, Trustee in Bankruptcy; Kathryn Pry-Coryell, Trustee in Bankruptcy; Unsecured Creditors Committee in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy proceedings for In re: Dayton Paint; In re: Cincinnati Entertainment Associates; In re: Cincinnati Cyclones, Inc.; In re: Gillespie Acquisitions, etal; and certain ESOP Note Holders in the cae of In re: The Antioch Company.
Other Outstanding Achievements:
- Presently serving as Liquidating Trustee in the Chapter 11 Case In Re: BCS2009 (In re: Berean Christian Stores, LLC), pending in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio; Presently serving as Court Appointed Receiver in the case of Northside Bank v. Harvco, pending in the Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas; Presently serving as Counsel for the Unsecured Creditors' Committee in the Ameristop convenience store bankruptcy cases in the cases of In re: Gillespie, etal. pending in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio; Served as Creditors' Committee Counsel in the case of In re Dayton Paint, Inc. (Chapter 11); Served as Counsel for Unsecured Creditors' Committee in the case of In re: Cincinnati Entertainment Associates, Inc. & In re: Cyclones Hockey Club, L.P. (both Chapter 11 cases); Participated as member of Special Counsel team responsible for recovering over four milion dollars in assets in the case of In re: Calumet Farm, Inc. (Chapter 11); Participated as part of legal team representing Trustee in Bankruptcy and responsible for recovery of large settlements relating to back-dating of documents and fraudulent conveyances in the case of In re: Walter Schott (Chapter 7); Served as lead counsel responsible for investigation of faked marriage license and forged will, setting aside will in will contest proceeding in the case of In re: Probate Estate of Walter Goose, Deceased.
- J.D. Northern Kentucky University (Salmon P. Chase College of Law), 1977
- B.A. University of Cincinnati, 1972