Linda Lea Viken has practiced family law for over 34 years. She is a Board Certified Family Law Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and has served as its President. She is a Diplomate of the American College of Family Trial Attorneys, and a Fellow of International Academy of Matrimonial Attorneys. Linda Lea served in the South Dakota House of Representatives for eight years, on the South Dakota Child Support Commission for over 25 years,and on the Visitation Task Force. She has extensive trial and appellate experience. She is also actively involved in many civic and professional organizations, having served as Chair of the State Bar Family Law Committee and Presidnt of the Pennington County Bar. She has written many articles and has given numerous presentations. Linda Lea was named the South Dakota Trial Attorney of the Year in 2014.
About Linda Viken
Admitted: 1978, South Dakota
Professional Webpage: www.vikenlaw.com/index_files/Page355.htm
Honors and Awards:
- The Trial Lawyer of the Year award is a lifetime achievement award., South Dakota Trial Lawyer of the Year, South Dakota Trial Lawyers, 2014
- Granted once a year to an outstanding Fellow of the Academy, AAML Fellow of the Year, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2008
- ‘2013 Top Rated Lawyer” by Martindale-Hubbell
- Diplomate of the American College of Trial Attorneys
- Linda Lea has served as Chair of the Family Law Section of the South Dakota State Bar, as well as Chair of the Pennington County Bar Association. She is currently a member of the South Dakota Trial Lawyers.
Pro bono/Community Service:
- Chaired various civic organizations including: South Dakota Coalition for Children, AAUW, Zonta. Served on the Board of Directors of the Rapid City Red Cross, The Black Hills Regional Food Bank, Black Hills Legal Services, West River Mental Health Board, Family Services of Sioux Falls, SD, Common Cause National Governing Board.
- Linda Lea chaired the Ask A Lawyer progam in Western South Dakota for over 25 years. This program offers free legal advice to the public for 3 nights once a year.
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Linda Lea has lectured at numerous professional meetings. Some of her most recent prsentations are “Alimony and Child Support, The Unholy Alliance?” 2004 National CLE Conference on Family Law in Snowmass/Aspen Colorado, January 2004. “Ethical Dilemmas for Counselors When Testifying in Court” Counselors / Ethics / Law West River Counseling Association, October 29, 2005 “Dividing the Perks of Employment” State Bar of South Dakota and Committee on Continuing Legal Education Family Law CLE, April 28, 2006 and May 1, 2006 “Ethical Conundrums” AICPA/AAML National Conference on Divorce, May 8-9, 2008
- Linda Lea has a BS in Business Education and taught for 8 years before obtaining her JD and beginning her law career