Business people and lawyers like you have trusted me for three decades to help them get optimal outcomes in their high-stakes disputes, whether on the plaintiff side or on defense. Clients count on me to solve complex legal problems that threaten to keep you from achieving their legitimate goals. Licensed in Texas and New York.
About Barry Barnett
Admitted: 1985, Texas
Professional Webpage: www.susmangodfrey.com/Attorneys/Barry-Barnett/#Pane1
Honors and Awards:
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow (2014-2015); American Law Institute, Elected Member (2007-2015). The Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation (2010-2015) and Commercial Litigation (2003-2015). Center for American and International Law, Trustee (2011-2015) Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in Antitrust and General Commercial Litigation (2007-2015). Academy of American Legal Writers, Board Member (2012-2015). Greenhill School, Trustee (2007-2013). The Legal 500 U.S. (2007-13) (mass tort and class actions: antitrust). Martindale-Hubbell AV (highest) rating (1995-2015). Texas Super Lawyer in Business Litigation, Antitrust Litigation, and Class Action/Mass Torts (2003-2015). Who's Who Legal: Competition 2015 (U.S. Plaintiffs). Who's Who Legal: Texas (competition). Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation, Texas Bar Foundation, Dallas Bar Foundation, and Houston Bar Foundation.
- Elected Member, American Law Institute. Member, State Bar of Texas; American Bar Association; Section of Litigation and Section of Antitrust Law; American Association for Justice; Dallas Bar Association; Houston Bar Association; Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, Dallas Bar Foundation, and Houston Bar Foundation.
Pro bono/Community Service:
- Trustee, Center for American and International Law. Alumnus member, Texas Lyceum. Former Trustee, Greenhill School. Chairman's Council, New-York Historical Society.
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Co-author, "Techniques for Expediting and Streamlining Litigation" for American Bar Association Section of Litigation's second and third editions of Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts (2005-13). Contributor, 2013 Annual Review of Antitrust Law Developments (2014). Creator and blogger-in-chief, Blawgletter®, which ranks in the top three percent of law blogs on Justia. Interviews by and articles for NPR's "Marketplace" report, Law Blog of The Wall Street Journal, Texas Lawyer, ABA Journal, business torts "Hot Topics" by the Litigation Section of the Texas Bar Association, Kansas City Business Journal, The Dallas Morning News, Blawg Review, Texas Cable News, D CEO, and Dallas Business Journal. Author and speaker at continuing legal education seminars, including "Trying a Class Action" for Litigation Counsel of America, "Antitrust and Class Certification" for Practicing Law Institute; "The Brave New World of Class Certification in Antitrust Cases" for Dallas Bar Association; "Techniques for Expediting and Streamlining Litigation" for the Harris County Civil District Judges Summer Conference; "How to Bust or Follow Through with an Arbitration" for the State Bar of Texas's Advanced Civil Trial Course; "Rule-Making and How It Affects Your Practice" for the State Bar of Texas's Advanced Personal Injury Law Course; "Current Developments in Business Litigation", American Bar Association., Author and Speaker, The Hottest Oil & Gas Claims for 2015, 66th Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference, Center For American And International Law, Institute For Energy Law, 2015
Verdicts and Settlements:
- Public companies: AmWINS, Cisco Systems, EMC, Encana Oil & Gas (USA), ENSCO, Forest Oil, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., New Century Financial, The Shaw Group, Trammell Crow Company, and Texas Instruments. Private companies: ACADIA, All Smiles Dental, Duane Reade, Energy Future Holdings, Gobeli Research, Insight Equity, International Securities Exchange, Luminant Generation, Luminant Mining, Mewbourne Oil & Gas, Morris & Dickson Co., Neiman Marcus Group, Oak Hill Capital, Olympia Minerals, Swift Cash, Valor Equity, Wagner & Brown, Ltd. Individuals: Directors of Energy Future Competitive Holdings Co.
- J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1984
- B.A., magna cum laude, History (honors) and Economics, Yale University, 1981