How do I get a business divorce from the other owner of my privately held business in Delaware?

Contact me today


As is the case with many business law matters, the answer is complicated. Ultimately, the circumstances surrounding your business will influence how your separation plays out. What type of entity is your business? Is it a corporation? Is it unincorporated? Businesses are often either incorporated or an alternative entity like an LLP or LLC. Typically, corporations have more options for splits and mergers. On the other hand, alternative entities will often have operating agreements that will govern what will happen in the event of an ended business partnership.

Furthermore, the amount of ownership stake you have in the business will also make a difference. To better understand how your business entity type affects your options for separation, reach out to a business law attorney. For now, let’s break down a few options:


Many people believe dissolution is similar to a chapter 7 “liquidation” bankruptcy in which the company completely disbands. On the contrary, in fact, dissolution is simply the dissolving of a business entity as it exists at that time. The business will remain. One party may maintain the functionality of the company and perhaps build a new entity while the other party moves in a separate direction. Note that dissolution is often used when business partners have an equal interest in the business and therefore cannot force one another out.

Freeze-Out Merger

If the company is a corporation, a freeze-out merger may be an option.  A freeze-out merger requires the action of a majority owner. First, you would create a new business entity. Then you sell the existing entity to the new entity in return for shares of the new entity.  The amount of shares is carefully calculated so that the minority partner is left with a fractional share, which is then cashed out. This option is only available to corporations because it involves the division of stock. 

Reverse Stock Split

In many ways, a reverse stock split resembles a freeze-out merger. However, you would not involve a new corporation. Instead, you would, for example, split the stock so every share is worth half of a share. As with a freeze-out merger, that fractional share is then cashed out.  The cash out price will need to be for fair value and it is likely the minority shareholder will challenge what you are paying.

Do Not Be Surprised By Contention

It is common for these separations to have some conflict. Often, they are referred to as “business divorces” because those involved may act similar to parties in a marital divorce. The business is their child into which they have put their passion and hard work – sometimes for decades. Some partners may even go as far as tapping phones of the other partners or even stalking them. Be sure you have an experienced attorney on your side who can help you handle the situation professionally and efficiently.


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other answers about Business Litigation

Melissa Needle

How Can I Appeal A Divorce Judgment Or Other Family Court Order In Connecticut?

When you are going through a divorce or take another family court issue to trial, the outcome is in the hands of a judge.  You hope that judge will …Sponsored answer by Melissa Needle

Mark E. Sharp

I just received a letter from a lawyer who told me that her client is considering suing my company in Virginia and that I must put a “litigation hold” on our records. What does that mean?

If you receive notice that you or your company may have evidence that might be relevant in a lawsuit against you, you must take reasonable steps to …Sponsored answer by Mark E. Sharp

Joe Hariton

When should I go to trial instead of settling in California?

When you’re weighing whether to settle a case, several factors come into play. Even if the case may ultimately be decided in your favor at trial, …Sponsored answer by Joe Hariton

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: Melissa N. Donimirski Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.17172694206238 sec