How do I collect money I am owed in Nevada?

Contact me today


The first question is whether you already have a judgment from a court. If you already have a judgment, then Nevada law provides legal remedies to obtain assets from a debtor who is unwilling to voluntarily pay. These remedies include bank and wage garnishments. You can also obtain a court order for the judgment debtor to appear for an examination under oath to list assets. Failure to either appear or be truthful can result in the court holding the debtor in contempt.

If you do not already have a judgment, then a lawsuit against the debtor will be necessary. The legal process to obtain the judgment from a debtor who does not contest the debt in court generally takes 60-90 days in Nevada. The debtor will be given notice of the lawsuit and have an opportunity to explain why the debt is not owed. However, Nevada recognizes that the inability to pay a debt for lack of money is not a defense to the debt. Once the judgment is obtained and filed, then the legal options to collect as described above are available.

You can call our law offices today to speak directly with Garry Hayes regarding your matter. 


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other answers about Collections

Larson A. Welsh

How do I file a foreign judgment in Nevada?

Judgments issued in states other than Nevada are considered a foreign judgment. Nevada has adopted the uniform law on domesticating foreign judgments …Sponsored answer by Larson A. Welsh

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: Larson A. Welsh Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.15128421783447 sec