How do I file a foreign judgment in Nevada?

Contact me today


Judgments issued in states other than Nevada are considered a foreign judgment. Nevada has adopted the uniform law on domesticating foreign judgments in Nevada. The first step is to obtain an exemplified copy of the judgment from the original court. The exemplified judgment is then filed with the Nevada court, and the defendant/debtor is given notice of the filing. The debtor has the right to object to the filing in court, but the court is extremely limited on the defenses that it can recognize to invalidate a sister state judgment. The debtor is not allowed to re-litigate his or her case. If after 30 days no defense is offered or the offered defense is rejected, then the judgment becomes official in Nevada. Once the judgment is officially recognized in Nevada, then all remedies available for collection can be used. These remedies include wage and bank garnishments, judgment debtor examinations and the seizure of nonexempt property.

You can call our law offices today to speak directly with Garry Hayes regarding your matter.


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other answers about Collections

Larson A. Welsh

How do I collect money I am owed in Nevada?

The first question is whether you already have a judgment from a court. If you already have a judgment, then Nevada law provides legal remedies to …Sponsored answer by Larson A. Welsh

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: Larson A. Welsh Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.25317287445068 sec