Skip to main content

How can I sue for a car accident in Connecticut?

Sponsored Answer
Jason Tremont - Personal Injury - General - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Jason Tremont

Located in Bridgeport, CTTremont Sheldon P.C.

Phone: 203-212-9075
Fax: 203-366-8503

View Profile

Car accidents can result in losses that last for years after they occur. Those involved may suffer injuries that require regular examinations and scans, causing medical expenses to accumulate and a surge of lost time from work and family life. While insurance companies may cover most expenses, it is not uncommon for victims to take legal action when necessary. You may begin a personal injury lawsuit against a driver by filing the proper documents and paperwork with the court. But first, you should consult an attorney.

The Need For Legal Representation

Suing a driver whom you believe is at fault for your accident is no simple process. An attorney will investigate the case and determine the validity of your claim. Their investigation will likely include:

  • Examining relevant evidence from the scene like photographs and reports
  • Interviewing witnesses and police officers or gathering information from their statements
  • Reviewing your medical records and expenses

Furthermore, your lawyer will take time to consider potential defenses for the at-fault driver in the event of a trial. If it appears you have a viable case, they will likely help you move forward with your lawsuit.

What Happens Next

Your legal representative may then outline your case and demand a settlement of compensation from the defending party. The outline will include the sum of medical expenses and lost wages. It will also likely contain monetary compensation demands for your pain and suffering as well as anticipated bills for future medical care. Should the opposing party reject the demand for a settlement, you and your attorney will then officially file a lawsuit seeking financial recovery for your losses.

The Burden Of Proof

For your lawsuit to be successful, you will need to prove that the defendant’s actions (or inaction) caused the car accident and that the injuries you have suffered were a direct result of that accident. You may be wondering, “What if I am partially at fault for the accident?” Note that Connecticut uses a modified comparative negligence law. To put it simply, you may still recover damages in a lawsuit if the court finds you less at fault than the other party.

A Successful Case Will Cover Your Expenses

If you have an experienced attorney and the necessary documentation, there is no reason a successful lawsuit will not cover what you need for your medical bills and other losses. Reach out to a personal injury law firm to gain more insight or to consult an attorney about your next steps.

Other Answers By Jason Tremont

Photo of Jason Tremont

Can I bring a lawsuit for child sexual abuse in Connecticut?

In the last few decades, many states have revisited their laws on child sexual abuse, particularly those regarding …

Sponsored answer by Jason Tremont

Other Answers About Motor Vehicle Accidents

Photo of Eugene L. Souder, Jr.

How Can I Win a Fair Settlement After an Auto Accident in Maryland?

The first and most important thing you need to understand after a motor vehicle accident is that the opposing …

Sponsored answer by Eugene L. Souder, Jr.

Photo of Paul R. Dahlberg

I was hurt in a motorcycle crash in Minnesota. Does insurance cover me?

Motorcyclists are highly vulnerable when crossing paths with negligent drivers. Many riders are killed or suffer …

Sponsored answer by Paul R. Dahlberg

Photo of Slawomir Platta

Should I call my insurance company or a lawyer first after a car accident in New York?

While it is important to communicate any accident information to your insurance company, there are some important …

Sponsored answer by Slawomir Platta

Call Me

To: Jason Tremont

Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).


The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Page Generated: 1.3113589286804 sec