How do I file a restraining order in Broward County, Florida?

Contact me today


If you are asking this question, you may have been threatened with violence, or have been subject to physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse or cyberbullying. Residents of Broward County may protect themselves from the person threatening them by filing a restraining order, also known as an order of protection. To obtain a restraining order, you may have to get a packet from the Broward County Clerk of Courts. Hiring an experienced attorney can help you after you’ve filed the order, when you will need to appear in court to have a judge hear your request.

Florida has several types of restraining orders, covering domestic (family) violence, dating violence, sexual violence or repeated acts of violence. You will need to show evidence that the aggressor’s behavior presents a credible threat to you. Even if the person has only threatened you through text messages or email, many judges will err on the side of caution and grant a temporary injunction. This protects you for several weeks until a permanent order of protection hearing can be held. At the permanent hearing, the person against whom you have taken the restraining order will have a chance to present their side of the case.

If your restraining order is granted, it can state that the other party has to stay a certain number of feet away from you, which could be expanded into a zone of protection that extends as far as a mile. It can also state, if you can demonstrate it is necessary, that the person avoid visiting your children’s school, your workplace or locations frequented by both of you. A permanent restraining order granted in Florida can last forever, although the petitioner (the person who filed the restraining order) may ask the court to have the order dissolved if circumstances change.

If you have been served with a restraining order, it is imperative that you employ a lawyer well-versed in restraining order cases to defend you. The attorney can present mitigating circumstances to the judge or highlight questionable behavior by the petitioner at the hearing for the permanent order of protection. They can also explain how to avoid violating the restraining order, which can have criminal consequences, including jail time. This hearing is your chance to have your voice heard, so it’s important you attend.

Having a permanent restraining order injunction or a violation of a restraining order conviction on your record can close many doors for you, including gun ownership and some employment or volunteer opportunities. Many criminal defense attorneys handle both the filing and defense of restraining orders, so they are able to understand the process from all angles and advise you how best to defend yourself.


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other answers about Criminal Law

Eugene L. Souder, Jr.

Can I Talk My Way Out Of Criminal Charges In Maryland?

The short answer is, “No.” If you talk to the police after an arrest, you are far more likely to hurt your case than to help yourself. The …Sponsored answer by Eugene L. Souder, Jr.

Steven E. Kellis

How long will I lose my license after a DUI in Pennsylvania?

If you plead guilty to a first-offense DUI in Pennsylvania, you are subject to loss of license for one year. You will still be able to drive during …Sponsored answer by Steven E. Kellis

Paul D. Cramm

What should I do if I am being accused of date rape in Kansas by someone I met on an online dating app?

If you meet someone on a social media “hookup’ site, the possibility of a terrible misunderstanding concerning sexual boundaries is very real and …Sponsored answer by Paul D. Cramm

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: Andrew M. Coffey Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.17300391197205 sec