How Do You Establish A Common Law Marriage In Colorado?

Contact me today


A common law marriage and a traditional marriage are created differently, but they are treated the same in the Centennial State. Colorado is one of a dozen states where common law marriages are legal, and the statute has been in effect since 1877. The requirements are few.

You and your partner must "agree" to be married and establish “in public” that you consider yourselves a married couple. Neither party can be married to another person at the time, and both must be at least 18. However, if one or both are between 16 and 18, they can still have a valid common law marriage with a parent’s or guardian’s consent.

Do Different Rules Apply For Common Law Marriages?

No. Once you have established your legal relationship, you have the same rights as those in traditional marriages, such as access to family health care insurance and filing joint tax returns. You are also subject to the same laws if the relationship ends, including:

  • Dividing marital assets
  • Child custody
  • Child support
  • Alimony

Just as in traditional marriages, these unions can only end legally by going through Colorado’s divorce process – called dissolution - or after the death of a spouse. Under state laws, surviving common law spouses have the same rights as traditionally married spouses for inheriting the deceased’s estate if they died without a will.

Conflicts Often Arise Over the Marriage Date

When common law spouses decide to end their marriage, one of the most frequent disputes is over the date when the marriage began. Some couples will get official recognition of their union by filing a notarized affidavit with their county clerk’s office. For those who haven’t, establishing an exact date is crucial as it can make a significant difference over dividing marital assets and income. There are several ways to prove the marriage date in court, such as when you:

  • Opened a joint bank account
  • Started wearing wedding rings
  • Began referring to the other person as your spouse
  • Started using the same last name
  • Applied for benefits through an employer
  • Created a will
  • Filed joint tax returns

The date you filed joint tax returns is typically an indisputable public record. If a spouse argues the marriage wasn’t in effect on that date, they risk a fraud investigation by the IRS.

Protect Your Rights If Your Marriage Ends

Common law marriages made sense back in the days of the Wild West as many people lived in remote areas and had to travel hundreds of miles on horseback to get a marriage license. It was a common and convenient way for frontier folk, who didn’t live in or near cities, to get hitched.

But having a 19th century law still in place has created a significant amount of confusion in today’s world. If you have questions over whether your common law marriage is valid or are not sure how to proceed in seeking a divorce, it’s advisable to talk to an experienced family law attorney who specializes in divorce and custody matters and understands the nuances of this 150-year-old law.


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other answers about custody & visitation

Image for Jacquelyn Conlon

How can a child custody arrangement be modified in Connecticut?

When a family court initially establishes child custody arrangements, it does so based upon what is in the best interest of the child. It may have …Sponsored answer by Jacquelyn Conlon

Image for Jeffery M. Leving

How do I get a visitation order in Illinois?

Obtaining a court-ordered visitation schedule in Illinois is critically important to protect your rights to see your children. Without a court order …Sponsored answer by Jeffery M. Leving

Image for Marshall Waller

Can I get sole custody of my child in California?

First, it is important to understand what sole custody is and is not. Sole custody does not necessarily mean that you are the only parent who will …Sponsored answer by Marshall Waller

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: Stuart Skok Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.14943695068359 sec