Can I Get Custody Of My Grandkids In Georgia?

Contact me today


Maybe. It depends on what is happening, but if you’re going to be raising your grandchildren, it’s important to take legal steps as soon as you know the situation might last a while. That might mean getting custody of your grandchildren, but there are several options.

In general, grandparent custody may be needed when your grandchildren’s parents are not capable of caring for them. The issue could be temporary or permanent. You may already have your grandchildren living with you, and you are wondering what to do next. Or, you may believe you need to take custody due to issues like addiction, child abuse or neglect.

Either way, you’ll need the legal authority to do things like enroll your grandkids in school, attend parent-teacher conferences and authorize medical care. You might need that authority for a temporary period until your child is able to take over again. Or, you might need it permanently.

Four Options For Getting Legal Authority To Raise Your Grandkids

In Georgia, there are four ways for grandparents to get the legal authority they need to raise their grandchildren. Some are permanent and some are not. Which one to choose depends on your relationship with your child and how permanent you need the custody arrangements to be.

A kinship caregiver affidavit: This tells the family court that you are temporarily raising your grandkids so that you can have the legal authority you need for most purposes. A kinship caregiver affidavit does not require parental consent. It is good for up to a year and can be renewed annually.

A guardianship through the probate court: This would make you your grandchildren’s legal guardian and remove that authority from both of your grandchildren’s parents. The parents would need to consent to this or you would have to take the issue before a judge.

Petition for custody in the Superior Court: In situations where the grandchildren are in danger of abuse or neglect, and neither parent is capable of taking proper care of them, you could ask the Superior Court to terminate the parents’ rights. Then, if you can show it is in your grandchildren’s best interest, you can ask for custody.

Petition to adopt your grandchildren: If neither parent is capable of caring for your grandchildren, you could petition the Superior Court to terminate their parental rights. Once that is done, you could adopt your grandchildren. This would make them permanently your children in the eyes of the law.

There are pros and cons of each option, and you’ll want to discuss them with a compassionate attorney who has significant experience handling petitions on behalf of grandparents.


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other answers about Custody & Visitation

Keith F. Pickard

When Do Nevada Courts Allow Parents To Relocate With Children?

Relocating with your children to another state or city can be a complex process, especially if you share custody with another parent. If you're …Sponsored answer by Keith F. Pickard

Thomas P. Parrino

How Is Child Custody Determined In Connecticut?

Connecticut law dictates that child custody arrangements should be determined based on what is in the best interest of the child, with courts …Sponsored answer by Thomas P. Parrino

Jacquelyn Conlon

How can a child custody arrangement be modified in Connecticut?

When a family court initially establishes child custody arrangements, it does so based upon what is in the best interest of the child. It may have …Sponsored answer by Jacquelyn Conlon

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: Amy K. Waggoner Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.54120397567749 sec