What if my partner wants a divorce in New Jersey and I do not?

Contact me today


Most married couples make important life decisions together. When a divorce happens, it is not unusual for one of the partners to make that choice on their own. It often catches their spouse off guard.

If this happened and you do not want the divorce, there is not much you can do. However, it is important to understand you have legal options and rights.

Understand your options and what is possible

Unfortunately, if your spouse wants a divorce and you do not, you will not have any choice if your spouse meets the state’s criteria.

The criteria include:


  • There must be grounds for the divorce.
  • The most common ground is irreconcilable differences, which means it can proceed without proof of anything.


  • Either you or your spouse must have been a New Jersey resident for at least one year.
  • There are exceptions, including adultery, which only makes current residency a requirement.

Waiting period

  • There is no across-the-board waiting period in our state.
  • The waiting period varies depending on the grounds.
  • Most no-fault divorces require separation for 18 months.
  • The waiting period for irreconcilable differences, however, is six months.

There are consequences if you do not respond

Sometimes, people do not want the divorce and think that it will not go forward if they do not respond. That is not true, so ignoring it is not advisable. If you do not answer, the divorce will proceed by way of default.

If default is issued, the court will likely grant your spouse any reasonable relief they request. You will not be able to ask for what you want, and that could have significant consequences. There are issues you can contest. You can challenge child custody arrangements, alimony, asset distribution and child support. If default is issued, your chances of contesting the divorce could be affected.

You might not be able to do much to prevent the divorce. However, you still must take all measures to protect your interests. You should talk to an attorney to discuss your options and safeguard your rights.


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.


No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.

Other answers about Divorce

Image for Kristi Anderson Wells

How are stock rights divided in a Colorado divorce?

Stock and equity awards, such as options, restricted stock, restricted stock units, phantom stock and stock appreciation rights, are a form of …Sponsored answer by Kristi Anderson Wells

Image for Colleen Norman

What Are Common Grounds For Divorce In Florida?

Like many other states, Florida has put an end to using fault as a ground for divorce, known legally as dissolution of marriage. Either spouse can …Sponsored answer by Colleen Norman

Image for C. Curran Coulter II

What Is A Psychological Evaluation Or Custody Evaluation And How Could It Affect My Custody Rights In A Family Law Case In Missouri?

A psychological evaluation is an assessment of one or both parents by a third-party, licensed mental health professional. They generally aren’t …Sponsored answer by C. Curran Coulter II

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: Robyn E. Ross Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.23931002616882 sec