How do I get a guardianship or a conservatorship in Colorado?

Contact me today


A guardianship case is started by the filing of a Petition for the Appointment of a Guardian for an Incapacitated Person by the petitioner in the place where the incapacitated person resides or is present. A conservatorship case is started by the filing of a Petition for the Appointment of Conservator by the petitioner in the place where the incapacitated person resides, or, if he or she does not reside in Colorado, any place where he or she has property. Typically, the two petitions are filed at the same time. However, it is not unusual to file only for one or the other or to file the actions at different times, depending on the facts of the case.

A physician's letter, setting forth the alleged incapacitated person's medical circumstances and the need for a guardianship and/or conservatorship, is required. If the petitioner cannot procure such a letter, the court has the authority to order an evaluation of the incapacitated person. A Return of Service, indicating that the alleged incapacitated person has been personally served with the notice and the petition, and a Certificate of Mailing, indicating that the other appropriate individuals have received notice, must be filed with the court prior to the hearing. Once the hearing has been held and the court has determined that the appointment is appropriate, Orders are signed by the judge and the probate registrar issues Letters, which are the documents used by the guardian and conservator to evidence his or her authority to act on behalf of the protected person. For more answers, please contact [email protected].


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other answers about Elder Law

Joel R. Bryant

Can I sue for will or trust fraud in California?

Yes. In California, there are several types of will and trust fraud. One common type of trust fraud involves a situation where the trustee engages in …Sponsored answer by Joel R. Bryant

Anthony J. Enea

How Can I Protect My Life Savings If I Need Long-Term Care In New York?

It’s no secret that long-term care is costly. The cost of a nursing home, assisted living facility or in-home care can quickly wipe out your life …Sponsored answer by Anthony J. Enea

Felicia Pasculli

Will The State Take My Home If I Need Medicaid To Pay For My Care In New York?

Not if you have done asset preservation planning. The state never “takes” your home. However, ownership without proper planning may result in a …Sponsored answer by Felicia Pasculli

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: Marco Chayet Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.37851786613464 sec