What kind of estate planning do I need in Colorado?

Contact me today


Wills in addition to General Financial Powers of Attorney and Medical Durable Powers of Attorney (POA) are highly recommended estate planning documents. Additionally, individuals may choose to execute CPR directives or purchase Long-Term Care insurance from their respective health care provider and insurance agent.

A Will is a legal document that allows for the distribution of your property upon your death. Wills can come in many different forms, from very complex that have different trusts for tax planning purposes to simple. Each Will should be tailored for the client's individual needs and Form Wills should be avoided. You should review your Will every time there is a significant change in your family or financial situation.

A General Financial POA is a document which allows you to appoint an agent to act on your behalf and take any legal and financial action you would take. It is Durable because it continues to be valid even after you become incapacitated. If you are incapacitated, a Durable POA is crucial, because it allows your agent to pay your bills, manage your assets and generally attend to your affairs.

A Medical POA appoints an agent to speak for you regarding medical treatment decisions when you cannot do so for yourself. These have much wider application than Living Wills because they are more flexible and you can set forth your wishes regarding quality of life issues. Most elder law attorneys prefer the Medical POA to a Living Will because current legislation requires less comprehensive Living Wills to "trump" Medical POA's agent authority. For more answers, contact [email protected].


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other answers about Elder Law

Felicia Pasculli

Will The State Take My Home If I Need Medicaid To Pay For My Care In New York?

Not if you have done asset preservation planning. The state never “takes” your home. However, ownership without proper planning may result in a …Sponsored answer by Felicia Pasculli

Andre L. Pennington

How Can I Obtain A Guardianship In Arizona?

In Arizona, the court can appoint guardians to care for people who are unable to care for themselves. There are two basic types of guardianships. The …Sponsored answer by Andre L. Pennington

M. Brigid Fernandez

Can a person preserve some assets when they go into a nursing home in Missouri?

One question we often receive from clients and other attorneys is how to protect at least some of a person’s assets when the person must be …Sponsored answer by M. Brigid Fernandez

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: Marco Chayet Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.18534088134766 sec