Skip to main content

Can I sue my doctor / physician for medical malpractice if my child was born with cerebral palsy or some type of birth trauma in Massachusetts?

Sponsored Answer
Russell X. Pollock - Professional Liability - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Russell X. Pollock

Located in Boston, MABergstresser & Pollock PC

Phone: 617-682-9211
Fax: 617-451-1070

View Profile

Doctors (also called physicians), like most other professionals such as lawyers, architects and accountants, owe a duty of care to their patient. When a doctor’s conduct falls below the level of care expected of the average qualified physician practicing in that specialty in that timeframe, the doctor is “negligent” or commits “medical malpractice.” In order to bring an action against a doctor, aside from proving the doctor was negligent, you must be able to prove you or a loved one suffered harm and that the negligence is what caused that harm.

Cerebral palsy and other types of birth traumas can occur in a variety of ways. For example:

  • An obstetrician, nurse or midwife fails to identify concerning fetal heart tracings, which require immediate cesarean delivery and the baby is deprived of oxygen, resulting in hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy, periventricular leukomalacia and cerebral palsy.
  • An Ob/Gyn, nurse or midwife fails to identify that the umbilical cord is around the baby’s neck or is prolapsed (preceding the baby through the birth canal) and likewise the baby is deprived of oxygen.
  • A doctor, nurse or midwife performs an unskillful forceps delivery or vacuum extraction causing physical trauma to the baby’s skull and brain.
  • A doctor, nurse or midwife fails to treat the mother with appropriate antibiotics resulting in the baby acquiring meningitis or another type of infection resulting in devastating injuries.
  • A doctor, nurse or midwife fails to take adequate precautions to prevent premature delivery, especially with a high-risk pregnancy or history of incompetent cervix, resulting in prematurity causing cerebral palsy or other traumatic injuries.
  • A doctor, nurse or midwife fails to properly deliver a baby with shoulder dystocia causing damage to the brachial plexus nerves or death.

If your baby has suffered severe injuries or death and you have concerns about the manner of the delivery and the level of care you and the baby received from a doctor, nurse, midwife or other medical care provider, look for an attorney who specifically handles medical malpractice actions, since they are unique and complex cases. Also, do not delay in speaking with a lawyer since like most actions, an action for medical malpractice must be brought within a certain amount of time.

Other Answers By Russell X. Pollock

Photo of Russell X. Pollock

Can I sue my lawyer or attorney for legal malpractice in Massachusetts?

Lawyers (also called attorneys), like most other professionals such as physicians, architects, accountants and …

Sponsored answer by Russell X. Pollock

Call Me

To: Russell X. Pollock

Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).


The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Page Generated: 2.0200309753418 sec