Skip to main content

Can I sue my doctor / physician for delayed diagnosis of infection leading to sepsis or necrotizing fasciitis and death in Massachusetts?

Sponsored Answer

Doctors and physicians, like most other professionals such as lawyers, architects and accountants, owe a duty of care to their patient. When a doctor’s conduct falls below the level of care expected of the average qualified physician practicing in that specialty at that time, the doctor is “negligent” or commits “medical malpractice.” In order to bring an action against a doctor, aside from proving the doctor was negligent, you must be able to prove that you or a loved one suffered harm and that the negligence is what caused that harm.

A delay in diagnosis of infection can lead to catastrophic results such as systemic sepsis, necrotizing fasciitis and even death. A delay in diagnosis of infection can occur in a variety of ways. For example:

  • An emergency room physician fails to follow up on a urine culture that tests positive for infection, develops into e-coli and takes the patient’s life.
  • An attending physician or hospitalist fails to heed a patient’s complaints of pain, lethargy and general unrest following a surgical procedure, delaying the administration of antibiotics and allowing the infection to proceed to necrotizing fasciitis.
  • A surgeon causes an intestinal perforation and post-surgical signs and symptoms, such as elevated temperature, tachycardia, rapid respirations and diaphoresis, go unheeded and do not lead to a rapid re-exploration of the surgical field.
  • An intensivist or ICU physician fails to obtain a timely surgical consult, fails to timely intubate the patient and fails to order a stat fluid resuscitation for a patient with an acute abdomen.

These are just some isolated examples of how a delay in diagnosis of infection can occur, which may very well be actionable in Massachusetts.

If you have concerns that a doctor, nurse or other medical care provider delayed in diagnosing or treating an infection in you or a loved one, look for an attorney that specifically handles medical malpractice actions, since they are unique and complex cases. Also, do not delay in speaking with a lawyer since like most actions, an action for medical malpractice must be brought within a certain amount of time.

Other Answers By Clyde D. Bergstresser

Photo of Clyde D. Bergstresser

Can I sue my doctor / physician for delayed diagnosis of cancer in Massachusetts?

Doctors and physicians, like most other professionals such as lawyers, architects and accountants, owe a duty of …

Sponsored answer by Clyde D. Bergstresser

Other Answers About Medical Malpractice

Photo of James P. Brennan

Can I Sue My Dentist For A Failed Dental Procedure In Connecticut?

Everyone faces risks when undergoing medical treatment, including dental care. Complications can arise for a …

Sponsored answer by James P. Brennan

Photo of Timothy J. DeMore

What Is the Statute of Limitations on Medical Malpractice Claims in New York?

Like many legal questions, this question has a very simple answer that cannot be fully understood without …

Sponsored answer by Timothy J. DeMore

Photo of Jordan R. Pine

How Do I Know If I Have A Dental Malpractice Case In New York?

All medical professionals have a duty of care to their patients. “Duty of care” is a legal term …

Sponsored answer by Jordan R. Pine

Call Me

To: Clyde D. Bergstresser

Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).


The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Page Generated: 1.3356490135193 sec