Skip to main content

Can A Homeowners Association Or Condominium Benefit By Foreclosing On A Unit To Collect Delinquent Common Charges In New York?

Sponsored Answer

Many people live in shared communities. The benefits of such community living result in a shared responsibility for costs, resulting in common charges or assessments. When unit owners don’t pay them, it imposes an unfair and disproportionate financial burden on the other owners.

Thus, Boards have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of all owners. Doing so may require Boards to foreclose liens for outstanding charges.

Foreclosing A Lien

To legally foreclose in New York, a Board must file a lawsuit against the unit owner. Such an action will lead to the sale of the unit to satisfy sums due to the Association or Condominium.

Foreclosure Is A Last Resort

If a unit owner is delinquent in paying common charges, before the sum due becomes unmanageable, Boards can take other proactive steps.  An action for a money judgment can lead to the ability to garnish wages or restrain bank accounts. This can result in payment before the delinquency rises to an amount requiring foreclosure.

Defenses A Board Is Likely To Face From A Unit Owner

Unit owners faced with foreclosure may seek to present a variety of defenses, including:

  • Challenging the right to assessments;
  • Challenging the right to foreclose;
  • Claiming that charges/fees assessed are unreasonable or excessive; and
  • Questioning whether the lien being foreclosed was properly filed.

Using the services of an experienced Community Association attorney can help avoid the pitfalls of such defenses.

A Repayment Plan May Be The Best Option

An experienced Condominium and Homeowners Association attorney can help your Board navigate the system and determine your best options. Often, a payment plan is sufficient, provided there is an adequate enforcement mechanism in the event a unit owner is non-compliant.

Other Answers About Real Estate

Photo of Bradley Jeckering

If my real estate deal falls through in Ohio, should I sue?

Disputes over real estate transactions are quite common. As the current real estate market continues to have more …

Sponsored answer by Bradley Jeckering

Photo of Andrew J. Bellwoar

When do I need to take a legal issue to my local zoning board in Pennsylvania?

There are plenty of reasons you might argue your case to a zoning board somewhere in the commonwealth, but they …

Sponsored answer by Andrew J. Bellwoar

Photo of Faisal Moghul

What Can I Do If A Seller Lies Or Conceals A Property Defect In Virginia?

Purchasing a home may be one of the biggest investments of your life, if not the biggest. It can be devastating …

Sponsored answer by Faisal Moghul

Call Me

To: Steven E. Waldinger

Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).


The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Page Generated: 0.57216310501099 sec