Can you bring a claim in Florida to challenge wrongdoing by a trustee or executor?

Contact me today


The simple answer to this question is yes.

Personal representatives or executors have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of the estate. That is what they were hired to do. It’s important to note that their job is not to earn money for the estate; however, they can be held liable if they lose money from the estate.


There are different types of claims that can be brought against the trustee in a breach of fiduciary duty claim. These claims are typically for mismanagement of estate or trust funds or excessive compensation someone pays themselves as executor fees. Here are the four main types of claims in more detail:

  1. Demand for an accounting — Every qualified beneficiary of a trust or estate is entitled to an annual accounting of income and distributions of the trust. Oftentimes, trustees neglect to serve accountings or serve accurate accountings. Often beneficiaries will sue to see accountings.
  2. Excessive compensation — Trustee or their agents may have been paid excessive accountings. A trustee is entitled to reasonable compensation but not excessive compensation. But if the trustee pays themselves excessively, they can be held liable and a claim may be brought against them.
  3. Theft of funds — Having money stolen is an unfortunate but very real risk in assigning an outside party (or even a family member) to oversee an estate. This is like embezzlement charges, except the money was stolen from your family’s estate, not from a business entity. Honesty and reputation are critical in selecting a fiduciary to be charged with this role.
  4. Mismanagement of trust assets — Mismanagement of funds includes failure to follow the Prudent Investor Act (a guideline of how fiduciaries are to invest estate trust monies) meaning the fiduciary failed to pick stocks in accordance with the Act. A fiduciary may also be guilty of mismanagement for distributing or misappropriating funds to the wrong people (which is known as a surcharge action) including to themselves (breach of fiduciary action). These actions are all filed in the probate division of civil court. If you’re successful in bringing any of those actions, you can often recover your attorney fees and costs against the trustee.


Florida law allows recovery of attorney’s fees for failure to account for trustee assets. Some lawyers take these cases on a contingency fee basis. In any event, staying involved with the fiduciary and reviewing the annual accounting of funds could prevent these problems from going unnoticed or perhaps from occurring in the first place. An estate administration attorney can assist you in what steps you might need to take if you are faced with bringing a claim against a fiduciary.


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other answers about Probate & Estate Administration

Lisa Tan

If I Am A Beneficiary or an Heir of a Person Who Died In California, Am I Entitled To A Copy Of Their Trust?

As an experienced probate attorney, this is by far the question I have been asked most frequently. In so many cases, potential beneficiaries are …Sponsored answer by Lisa Tan

Brandi K. Cassady

Can you do a grant of probate yourself in Nevada?

It is possible to do probate yourself in Nevada, but it has pitfalls and can be a frustrating process for many people. Estates less than $100,000 in …Sponsored answer by Brandi K. Cassady

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: John Farina Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.38549113273621 sec