Can A Homeowners Association Or Condominium Benefit By Foreclosing On A Unit To Collect Delinquent Common Charges In New York?

Contact me today


Many people live in shared communities. The benefits of such community living result in a shared responsibility for costs, resulting in common charges or assessments. When unit owners don’t pay them, it imposes an unfair and disproportionate financial burden on the other owners.

Thus, Boards have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of all owners. Doing so may require Boards to foreclose liens for outstanding charges.

Foreclosing A Lien

To legally foreclose in New York, a Board must file a lawsuit against the unit owner. Such an action will lead to the sale of the unit to satisfy sums due to the Association or Condominium.

Foreclosure Is A Last Resort

If a unit owner is delinquent in paying common charges, before the sum due becomes unmanageable, Boards can take other proactive steps.  An action for a money judgment can lead to the ability to garnish wages or restrain bank accounts. This can result in payment before the delinquency rises to an amount requiring foreclosure.

Defenses A Board Is Likely To Face From A Unit Owner

Unit owners faced with foreclosure may seek to present a variety of defenses, including:

  • Challenging the right to assessments;
  • Challenging the right to foreclose;
  • Claiming that charges/fees assessed are unreasonable or excessive; and
  • Questioning whether the lien being foreclosed was properly filed.

Using the services of an experienced Community Association attorney can help avoid the pitfalls of such defenses.

A Repayment Plan May Be The Best Option

An experienced Condominium and Homeowners Association attorney can help your Board navigate the system and determine your best options. Often, a payment plan is sufficient, provided there is an adequate enforcement mechanism in the event a unit owner is non-compliant.


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other answers about Real Estate

Faisal Moghul

What Can I Do If A Seller Lies Or Conceals A Property Defect In Virginia?

Purchasing a home may be one of the biggest investments of your life, if not the biggest. It can be devastating when you purchase a home and discover …Sponsored answer by Faisal Moghul

William J. O'Grady

Can I Legally Get Out Of A Diamond Resorts Timeshare Contract In Las Vegas, Nevada?

There are multiple ways to get out of your Diamond Resorts Timeshare Contract (Now Hilton Grand Vacations), but the options you have to potentially …Sponsored answer by William J. O'Grady

Daniel J. Kessler

I Have A Construction Dispute In California. What Can I Do?

Large-scale real estate projects can often result in disputes between the developer and contractor. For developers who are facing a construction …Sponsored answer by Daniel J. Kessler

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: Steven E. Waldinger Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.36052203178406 sec