What Do I Do If I’m Falsely Accused Of A Sex Crime In Kansas?
Answered by: Jonathan W. McConnellMcConnell Law Firm, P.A. Phone: (316) 243-5903
A sex crime conviction resulting from an unfounded or false accusation can lead to crushing lifelong consequences. Sex offense charges can destroy a person’s reputation, marriage, career, and housing and educational opportunities.
Call an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately when arrested or summoned by police for an interview. A knowledgeable lawyer will protect you from aggressive questioning and begin to build a defense to prevent or disprove charges.
Common Sex Crimes In Kansas
It’s vital to your defense to contact an attorney who specializes in criminal defense and understands state laws regarding sex offenses, including:
- Sexual assault
- Sexual battery
- Child pornography
- Human trafficking
- Prostitution or patronizing a prostitute
- Lewd and lascivious behavior
- Sexual exploitation of a child
- Unlawful voluntary sexual relations
- Indecent liberties with a child
- Indecent solicitation of a child
Defendants can face state and federal charges. Federal crimes are generally those that occur over the internet or cross over state lines.
Reasons For False Accusations
It’s essential that you share everything you know about the person making the erroneous claim. Your lawyer will scrutinize the accuser’s credibility by examining their past behavior and actions. Bogus charges happen for many reasons, including:
- False statements made in anger or by people with mental health issues
- Excessive drug or alcohol use
- Vindictiveness by a partner or spouse to gain an advantage in a custody or divorce dispute
- Mistaken identity
- Investigative or interrogation errors by police
- Inaccurate or misleading forensic evidence touted as “fact” by prosecutors
Don’t be misled by the countless TV police dramas that present DNA as irrefutable evidence. DNA isn’t a slam dunk, and prosecutors often exaggerate its significance.
Defense Strategies For Sex Crime Accusations
Knowledgeable defense attorneys understand how to build a strategy to prove your innocence. Many of these cases involve misunderstandings or outright lies. Defenses include:
- False accusations
- The incident never happened
- Mistaken identity
- Sexual activity occurred but was consensual
- The defendant reasonably believed the accuser gave consent
- Police violated the defendant’s rights
- The prosecution’s case is flawed or based on illegally obtained evidence
We use forensic specialists and other experts to refute the prosecution’s case and challenge evidence used against you.
How An Experienced Lawyer Protects Your Future
Time is of the essence if suspected of or charged with a sex crime. A formal charge creates a criminal record, which can be devastating to your reputation. Convictions can result in lengthy prison sentences, costly fines and registering as a sex offender. Skilled defense attorneys prepare you for every step of the process, including:
- Understanding the charge or potential charge and the possible penalties
- Crafting a defense strategy in your best interests
- Discussing whether a plea bargain may be favorable to lessen penalties
- Considering the potential impacts of pleading guilty or going to trial
- Understanding what could happen after a trial or conviction
We will work relentlessly to help you avoid charges altogether if possible or lessen the severity of any punishment, which could include probation, home arrest or entering a certified program to reduce charges and sentences. We leave no stone unturned in defending our clients and protecting their future.
The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.
Other answers about Sex Offenses
How do I choose a defense attorney for a sex crime charge in Pennsylvania?
If you or someone you love ever stands accused of a sex crime, it is critical that you find a strong, reliable defense attorney. Sex crime charges …Sponsored answer by Evan Kelly
How Can I Defend Against A Sex Offense Allegation In New York?
Being accused of a sex crime can destroy your life. Even false allegations can threaten a person’s reputation, marriage and family, employment, …Sponsored answer by Michael Spano
How do I find the best lawyer for a sex offense charge in Massachusetts?
Getting the best lawyer for a sex offense charge can mean more than one thing. It can mean finding a lawyer capable of successfully challenging the …Sponsored answer by J. W. Carney, Jr.
Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).To: Jonathan W. McConnell Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry