Under the Illinois Workers' Compensation Act, does my employer have to take me back to work after my doctor releases me from medical care due to a work-related accident?

Contact me today


No, your employer does not have to provide you with employment after you are released by your doctor.  However, if your doctor releases you to return to work with permanent restrictions and your employer does not, or is unable to, accommodate the restrictions, you may be entitled to vocational rehabilitation services.  These services could include, but are not limited to, conducting a job search, receiving retraining in another job field, participating in computer classes or participating in an educational program.  During the period that you are participating in vocational rehabilitation, you are entitled to receive weekly maintenance benefits in the same amount as your temporary total disability benefits.


(Disclaimer: The above information is not intended to be legal advice.  The answer may change based on certain circumstances, such as, but not limited to:  1) whether the injured worker has applied for any federal or state leave; 2) whether the employee has applied for leave through the employer; or 3) whether there is an employment or union contract in effect.  You should contact an attorney to discuss the specific facts and circumstances of your situation).  


The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other answers about Workers' Compensation

Barry A. Stein

How do I get the medical care I need in a worker's compensation case in Florida?

In Florida, all workers' compensation cases begin by asking your employer for medical care for an accident-related injury. If a physician appointment …Sponsored answer by Barry A. Stein

Barry A. Stein

Do I need a lawyer for worker's compensation case in Florida?

Yes because there are two benefits, and only two benefits, which you receive in a workers' compensation case.You get medical expenses that are …Sponsored answer by Barry A. Stein

Philip J. Fulton

What If I Receive Notice Of Terminated Workers’ Compensation Benefits In Ohio?

The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (OBWC) is generally the governing body through which most injured workers in Ohio are paid benefits while …Sponsored answer by Philip J. Fulton

Call me:

Contact me

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

To: Arnold G. Rubin Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Your IP address and location have been logged to assist in preventing abuse of this service.

Page Generated: 0.2039430141449 sec