Do I Need a Construction Accident Lawyer?
Make sure you get the best outcome after a construction accidentBy Canaan Suitt, J.D. | Last updated on June 28, 2022
Use these links to jump to different sections:
- Should I Hire a Construction Accident Attorney?
- When To Hire a Construction Accident Lawyer?
- Benefits of Hiring a Construction Accident Attorney
- Finding the Right Attorney For Your Needs
Construction work is one of the more dangerous professions in the United States. Even with strong safety guidelines from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and other regulatory bodies, construction sites can be unsafe.
If you are a construction worker, you or someone you know has probably experienced a construction accident injury on the worksite. If you have workplace injuries resulting from an accident, you might be wondering what your legal options are and if you need a lawyer.
Dealing with the aftermath of a workplace injury can be complicated. If legal action is involved, things can get even more complex. Speaking with an experienced construction accident attorney can make a huge difference.
An attorney can answer your questions, evaluate your case, and help navigate the best path forward. This article will look at situations when getting a construction accident lawyer is a great idea.
Should I Hire a Construction Accident Attorney?
You are a construction worker injured on the job site. When is it a good idea to hire an attorney? If you have faced any of the injuries or challenges below, you may need to hire a construction accident attorney.
Types of Construction Accidents
There are many causes of construction accidents. Some accidents don’t cause major issues. However, some construction accidents can be significant:
- Injuries from falling objects like shingles, siding, or other building materials
- Injuries from defective equipment such as a forklift
- Injuries resulting from crane accidents or electrocution
- Serious injuries resulting in brain injury, disfigurement, or permanent disability
- In some cases, fatalities such as falling from a high area
Issues That Could Arise From a Construction Accident
In addition to causing injury, construction site accidents can result in a wide range of issues, including:
- Medical bills. Depending on your injuries, your medical expenses could be high.
- Insurance companies. Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging and confusing.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. If you’re injured, you may be unable to work for a while. Injuries can also impact your long-term ability to make a living. Figuring out your financial options can be stressful and difficult.
Depending on your specific situation, there are a variety of construction accident claims you could bring:
- Personal injury claim. Suppose the construction company or general contractor you work for was responsible for your injuries on the job site. In that case, you could file a personal injury lawsuit. You might seek money damages for medical treatment, lost wages, or lost earning capacity in the future.
- Workers’ compensation claim. Most states legally require construction companies to have workers’ compensation insurance to cover possible employee injuries. In some cases, you might file for workers’ compensation benefits instead of pursuing a lawsuit.
- Wrongful death. If a construction employer’s negligence resulted in the death of your loved one, you might have a wrongful death claim to receive death benefits.
When To Hire a Construction Accident Lawyer?
It is best to hire a construction accident lawyer as soon as possible after the incident. Ideally, you should aim for one to two weeks.
The reason it’s important to get a lawyer as quickly as possible is simple: you want to ensure you get the best possible outcome.
Your construction or insurance company may rush to settle with you. Without legal advice, you may not get the best deal available.
With any legal action, there are also important deadlines to meet. Called the statute of limitations, these deadlines vary by state. They tell you how long you have to file a lawsuit from when your accident happened. If you miss the deadlines, you won’t be able to sue. An attorney will be able to navigate you through deadlines and the entire legal process.
Benefits of Hiring a Construction Accident Attorney
If you have been injured on a construction job site, you may have a lot of issues to deal with, from medical treatment to insurance claims to legal action. You may not have the ability or time to address everything. You may feel overwhelmed or not know where to begin.
The most significant benefit of hiring a lawyer is having someone with experience help you through the process competently and ensure you get the best outcome. You don’t have to face the problems alone. A lawyer can help you move forward.
Questions for Your Attorney
Many attorneys provide free consultations for possible clients. These free case evaluations are an excellent resource for both attorney and client, letting the attorney hear the facts of the case and the client decide if the lawyer meets their needs.
To decide whether an attorney and their legal team are the right fit, ask informed questions:
- What is your experience as a personal injury lawyer?
- Have you represented construction accident victims before?
- What is your record with construction accident cases?
- What is your fee?
- Do you accept payment on a contingency fee basis?
- What is the statute of limitations in my situation?
- Should I pursue a personal injury case or seek worker’s compensation benefits?
- What is the likelihood of a settlement in my case?
- What legal services do you offer?
Finding the Right Attorney For Your Needs
It is essential to approach the right type of attorney—someone who can give you legal help through your entire case. You can visit the Super Lawyers directory and use the search box to find a lawyer based on your legal issue or location.
For legal advice about a construction accident, consider looking for a lawyer practicing construction litigation.
Additional Construction Accident articles
Find top lawyers with confidence
The Super Lawyers patented selection process is peer influenced and research driven, selecting the top 5% of attorneys to the Super Lawyers lists each year. We know lawyers and make it easy to connect with them.Find a lawyer near you