Types of Construction Injuries With Heavy Machinery
What to do if you've been injured by heavy construction machineryBy Canaan Suitt, J.D. | Last updated on June 28, 2022
Use these links to jump to different sections:
- Injuries From Heavy Machinery
- What To Do if Heavy Machinery Injures You
- Finding the Right Lawyer for Your Needs
If you are a construction worker, you or someone you know may have been injured by heavy machinery on the job site.
Construction injuries can result in expensive medical bills, time away from work, and lost earning potential. You may have many questions about what to do: Who is responsible? Do I have any legal claims? Am I entitled to workers’ compensation?
An experienced construction accident lawyer can answer these questions. This article will help you start the process of finding a lawyer to meet your needs.
Injuries From Heavy Machinery
Heavy machinery plays an essential role in many construction projects. Many jobs would be impossible without the equipment to dig, build, or move materials. Common types of construction equipment include:
- Dump trucks
While this heavy machinery is helpful, it can also be hazardous for construction workers.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that hundreds of fatal injuries happen yearly due to equipment contact. Road construction sites are hazardous, partly because of cars, trucks, and other equipment.
Types of Injury
How do heavy machinery accidents happen? Unfortunately, injuries can occur in many ways:
- Negligence. If an equipment operator is negligent or lacks proper training, workers can be at risk of serious injury.
- Accidents. Even when operators have proper training and caution, construction accidents can happen. For example, operators:
- Might have blind spots preventing them from seeing others
- Might operate machinery on uneven or steep surfaces, causing rollovers that injure themselves or others
- Malfunction. Other times, machinery malfunctions and causes injury due to no operator fault.
Whatever the case, heavy equipment accidents can result in severe injuries:
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Crushing injuries, including broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries or other back injuries
What To Do if Heavy Machinery Injures You
As a construction worker injured by heavy machinery, you may be out of work, losing pay, or facing medical bills.
You may be wondering about your legal options. Getting sound legal advice from a construction accident attorney as soon as possible can be essential.
In addition to injuries from equipment, you may have experienced construction injuries from:
- Falling or tripping
- Falling objects
- Electrocution from power lines or other electrical sources
No matter the type of accident, a construction accident lawyer can help you understand your options for legal action or workers’ compensation.
The good news is that many lawyers provide free consultations for possible clients. These meetings are a great resource for both attorney and client, allowing the lawyer to hear about the case and the client to decide if the lawyer is a good fit.
Questions To Ask a Construction Accident Lawyer
To see if a lawyer is right for you, ask informed questions:
- What is your experience as a personal injury attorney?
- Have you worked with construction accident victims before?
- Do I have a good personal injury claim?
- What do you charge?
- What about worker’s compensation benefits and medical expenses?
Finding the Right Lawyer for Your Needs
It is essential to approach the right type of attorney—someone who can give you legal help through your entire case. You can visit the Super Lawyers directory and use the search box to find a lawyer based on your legal issue or location.
Consider looking for a lawyer practicing construction litigation for legal advice about a construction accident.
Additional Construction Accident articles
Find top lawyers with confidence
The Super Lawyers patented selection process is peer influenced and research driven, selecting the top 5% of attorneys to the Super Lawyers lists each year. We know lawyers and make it easy to connect with them.Find a lawyer near you