Hiring a Construction Accident Attorney
Getting legal help for the best outcome in your construction accident case
on June 8, 2022
Updated on June 28, 2022
Even with robust workplace safety regulations, construction sites can be hazardous areas. The construction industry tends to have more fatalities each year than other industries, often due to falls and falling objects.
So, if you are a construction worker, you or a colleague may have experienced some accident on the job site. Construction site accidents can result in serious injury, large medical bills, and extended time away from work.
If you have experienced a construction site injury, you may be wondering what your options are. From figuring out if you have any legal claims to sorting out medical expenses to dealing with insurance companies, getting legal advice from a qualified attorney can be essential for securing the best outcome.
Get Help Figuring Out Your Legal Options
Suppose you or a loved one has been injured on a construction job site. In that case, you may have several options for taking legal action, including:
- Filing a personal injury claim. If you were harmed on the job site and the construction company or general contractor was responsible, you could file a personal injury lawsuit.
- Filing a workers’ compensation claim. Generally speaking, construction companies are responsible for having workers’ compensation insurance to cover possible employee injuries. Instead of filing a lawsuit, you may have a workers’ comp claim for reimbursement for medical treatment for accident injuries or lost work.
- Wrongful death. If a construction employer’s negligence resulted in death, you might have a wrongful death claim.
Experienced construction injury attorneys deal with a wide range of construction accident cases. They can help you decide on the best course of legal action.
How To Get a Construction Accident Lawyer
To get a construction accident lawyer, you will need to locate experienced attorneys in your area, meet with them, and then hire the one that seems like the best fit.
Finding an Attorney
The first step to hiring a lawyer is researching attorneys and law firms in your area. You can do this by:
- Talking with a trusted friend or colleague who has dealt with construction accident lawyers before
- Search your local bar association’s database of attorneys
- Look up experienced construction accident attorneys on Super Lawyer’s directory.
Once you have located some good lawyers in your area, schedule and attend free consultations with them. These consultations are an excellent resource for both attorney and client. They allow the attorney to hear the facts and conduct a case evaluation. The meetings also give you, the prospective client, an opportunity to see if the attorney meets your needs.
Questions for an Attorney
The best way to decide whether an attorney is the right fit is by asking informed questions. Here are some good questions to ask during your initial conversations:
- What are your fees, and what billing options do you offer?
- What is your experience with construction accident cases?
- What are all the legal services you offer?
- Given my situation, should I take legal action or try for workers’ compensation?
- Could there be a settlement offer given the facts of my case?
Hiring the Attorney
After meeting with qualified lawyers and asking questions, you can then decide on the best lawyer for you. Once you choose a lawyer, you will let them know you would like to retain their services, and your attorney-client relationship begins.
Finding the Right Attorney for Your Needs
It is essential to approach the right type of attorney—someone who can give you legal help through your entire case. You can visit the Super Lawyers directory and use the search box to find a lawyer based on your legal issue or location.
For legal advice about a construction accident, consider looking for a lawyer practicing construction litigation.